Nowadays, due to the sudden increase in the consumption of more organic homemade foods. Homemade salad has been one of the most popular dishes to make. On the other hand, most of us are not able to show our MasterChef inside us to the rest of the world. To help you with that, we have made a blueprint to how to make perfectly healthy salad recipes at your home. Just mix the ingredients into a bowl and mix them and you will have a great salad at your desk.
The thing you need will be a green salad, Some veggies, Healthy fats, and Fat-free dressing. That is, these are the secret ingredient you need to make the best healthy salad. But sure if you had the idea of this before you would be in the kitchen making yourself one. However, it is not the case that is why we are here to your rescue.
Best Healthy Salad Ingredients For Losing Weight
1.Choose The Best Green Salad As a base
Always use a green salad as a base for every healthy salad recipes because they are healthy and nutritious. whereas, pasta and potato base tends to have a good amount of fats and calories. Which can do more bad than good. However, if by any chance you don’t like a green salad. You can use beans as a base, as it has a good amount of fibre in them. The best part of green salad is that it kicks your metabolism which helps give an upper edge.
- Spring greens: Arugula, spinach, chard, watercress, mustard greens, and beet greens are soft, flavorful spring greens.
- Low-calorie greens: Iceberg, bibb, romaine, radicchio, escarole, endive, leaf lettuce, and frisée are all crisp, low-calorie greens. You can also save time and throw a handful of pre-mixed cabbage into your salad bowl to add crunch without calories.
2.Have Different Colourful Veggies
Always have numerous veggies in your bowl of salad, not only it adds a different colour to your salad but moreover adds various types different of nutrients to it. The advantage of veggies is that they usually have fewer calories and high fibre content which help us to full our stomach with only a little amount of veggies.
Various veggies you can add on the basis of colour:
- Red: Chopped or sliced tomato, shredded or sliced radishes, chopped red onion, sliced red peppers, cubed beets, cold sliced red potato
- Orange: Shredded or thinly sliced carrots, slivered orange peppers, cold cubed squash, heirloom orange tomato, cold diced sweet potato.
- Yellow and white: Diced sweet onion, cooked fresh corn kernels, quartered yellow tomato, sliced yellow beets, cubed jicama, quartered or sliced mushrooms, finely chopped shallots, cauliflower, white asparagus,
- Blue or purple: Diced purple potatoes, shredded purple cabbage, slivered purple peppers, eggplant
- Green: Thinly sliced green onion, chopped green tomato, quartered artichoke hearts, chilled peas, broccoli, seeded and sliced cucumber (skin removed), Brussels sprouts, diced celery.
Tip: try to sauté the veggies add a bit of taste if you are not adding any sauce.
3. Add Healthy Fats
The mistake we made while losing weight is to boycott fats. Which is the worst mistake a man can make because we have already listened that a diamond can only cut diamond. That is the same with fats, only fat can cut fat. So consuming fats is really important.
Try to add these healthy fats in your healthy salad bowl:
- Avocado: 1–2 tablespoons
- Olives: 5–10 olives
- Olive oil: 1–2 tablespoons
- Nuts (almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, etc.): 10-15 nuts depending on size
- Seeds (sunflower seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds): 1–2 tablespoons
Tip: Adding fats not only enhances the taste but also gives strength to the body.
4. Add Lean Protein Source To Your Healthy Salad Recipes
Adding a protein source to a diet is always good for your body so that it can recover well. Additionally, you can add protein to your salad and take it as a full meal. With Protein your stomach can be filled for a longer duration.
Add the various type of protein:
- Meat: Leftover lean steak, grilled chicken (such as in Asian chopped salad with garlic-ginger chicken) or turkey, shredded roast pork, seasoned extra lean ground turkey, sliced deli roast beef
- Seafood: Salmon, tuna (fresh or canned), shrimp, sardines, anchovies,
- Grains: Quinoa, wild rice, brown rice, barley
Tip: if you are working out try to add double of your weight as protein in your daily meal.
5. Mix Some Herbs
Adding herbs is always a good idea. Because they have nearly 0 calories. In addition to that, they are good for your body and provide an extra essence in your food. It helps to detoxify your body:
6. Are Salad Dressing Important To Your Healthy Salad Recipes
Most of the salad dressing is full of fats. Which is not good for a healthy dressing. If you still want to add something either use Fat-free dressing or make the dressing in your home.